Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rigatoni with Green Olive-Almond Pesto and Asiago Cheese



Okay, I’m going to ‘fess up. I don’t like olives – never have. So when I saw this recipe, I immediately said to myself – no way. But, I’ve got to grow up sometime and try new things. I tried this and it’s SO delicious! Really! I got some organic green olives stuffed with garlic and this was fabulous. I probably won’t eat olives by themselves quite yet, but I will definitely make this again. Oh, and did I say this is extremely fast and easy? It is.

Rigatoni with Green Olive-Almond Pesto and Asiago Cheese
Servings: 4
Cooking Light

1 pound uncooked rigatoni
1 1/4 cups (6 ounces) pitted manzanilla (or green) olives
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large garlic clove
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Asiago cheese.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta, reserving 6 tablespoons cooking liquid.
Place olives, sliced almonds (toast almonds in a toaster oven for 3-4 minutes or in a skillet over medium heat), flat-leaf parsley leaves, black pepper, and garlic in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until coarsely chopped. With processor on, add 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon vinegar through the food chute, processing until mixture is finely chopped. 


Combine pasta, 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, and olive mixture in a large bowl; toss well. Add enough of remaining 2 tablespoons cooking liquid to make pasta mixture moist, tossing well to coat. 



Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.


You can serve this with a spinach salad or even just some grape tomatoes if you are in a hurry. Really good! Enjoy!


No comments: