Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sourdough Sandwich Bread


When I made toast this morning, I realized (horrors!) that I wouldn’t have enough bread for toast tomorrow morning. I also had some melted butter that needed used up. So I went to my old friend, the internet, and looked for a new bread to make. I found this bread recipe on a very cool website called The Fresh Loaf.

I used a combination of flours - white, garbanzo bean (I'm trying to cut down on refined flours) and whole wheat. I've tried bread flour and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and all-purpose flour. The garbanzo bean flour turned the bread a lovely shade of gold.

Also, this uses a sourdough starter, so you'll need to feed up your starter or see the previous sourdough blog, to make this.

SOURDOUGH SANDWICH BREAD
Night before baking:
Combine 1 c. starter with 4 c. bread flour (or any flour you choose) and 2 c. warm water at room temp. Stir, cover with plastic wrap and leave out overnight.


Day of baking:
Pour sponge mixture into mixer bowl and add 1/4 c. melted butter, 2 tsp. yeast, 2 tbs. sugar, 2 tsp. kosher salt, and 1 c. flour.


Mix until combined. Then add enough flour until dough is fairly stiff. The dough will clear both the sides and bottom of the bowl.


Knead at for about 4 minutes or until dough is smoother and elastic. Transfer to oiled bowl, turn to grease the top,


and let rise in warm place until doubled, around 2 hours.


Shape into loaves. The way I do it - divide the dough into portions. Shape each portion into a disk. Flatten each disk with your hand or a rolling pin. Roll the dough up as you would cinnamon rolls. Tuck the ends under so the log of dough fits in the bread pan.


Place into greased pans.


Let rise for about an hour, or until light and risen nicely, then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Brush with butter for a nice buttery top.


This is delicious bread! Enjoy!



No comments: