Friday, January 13, 2012

Garlic Stuffed Beef with Chipotle

I love my slow cooker when I remember to use it. It makes my day wonderful. I make dinner in the morning, the house smells delicious all day, and dinner is ready when we’re ready to eat. You can make anything from appetizers to desserts in a slow cooker.


This recipe is from a great cookbook – Southwest Slow Cooking. Also, I use slow-cooker liners. I'd rather be eating the food than scrubbing the slow-cooker.

Make sure to have lots of tortillas on hand – fresh, flour, corn – whatever floats your boat.

Note: chipotles in adobo sauce. They add fantastic flavor to so many southwest style recipes. But they are HOT. Admittedly, they come in a little can, but you can only use about 1/4 of the can on any one recipe; unless you have no feeling on your tongue and a cast-iron stomach. But they taste wonderful - smokey, rich and spicy. So I use what I need from the can, then freeze the rest in serving sizes in little baggies.


GARLIC STUFFED BEEF WITH CHIPOTLE
1 (3-5 lb) round roast, or any deer, elk or antelope roast
5-7 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in halves
2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 sliced onion
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
2 tbs. adobo sauce
Fresh cilantro

Make several deep cuts in the roast (this is an antelope roast - I think a sirloin tip) and scatter them over the top of the roast. Insert half a garlic clove in each slit, making sure the garlic is pushed into the roast as far as it will go.


Place the roast in the slow cooker. Add tomatoes,


These are from last summer's garden. I froze them in quart-size bags.

chipotles, onion, and adobo sauce to the slow cooker. I layered everything - tomatoes, onions, chipotles, tomatoes, onion, then finished with tomatoes.



Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Remove the roast from the slow cooker and slice carefully across the grain. Or you can shred the meat and stir everything back together.


Place on a serving platter, if you slice it, and drizzle some of the tomato-chipotle sauce over the top. Garnish with cilantro. Makes 4-6 servings. Serve with tortillas or rosemary potatoes, and a fresh salad.


It is not too spicy hot and makes a lovely, tasty burrito. Enjoy!

No comments: