Friday, April 27, 2012

Oatmeal-Date-Chocolate Cookies


I needed to use up some dates, and I needed some cookies, and I needed something with chocolate. These turned up on a Google search and they are delicious! Chewy, healthy (sort of) and yummy! Next time, though, I'll throw in about 1/2 cup of pecans because I like nuts in my cookies. I also doubled this recipe and it made a full gallon ziploc of cookies.


Oatmeal-Date-Chocolate Cookies
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups regular oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lightly beaten egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pitted dates
3 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate

This is an easy way to chop dates.
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.

I microwaved it.
Remove from heat and add brown sugar.


Stir until smooth.


In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, oats, and salt.


Combine the butter mixture with the dry ingredients,


and add egg, vanilla,


and chopped dates. Fold in bittersweet chocolate.


Mix well and spoon mixture by tablespoon-fulls out onto lightly greased (or silicone baking mat–covered) baking sheets.


Bake for 12 minutes, until tops are dry to the touch. DO NOT overbake! I let one batch go 13 minutes and they turned a fairly dark brown. So we had to eat those immediately. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing.  About 32 cookies (more if you double it).

Enjoy!





No comments: