Thursday, March 29, 2012

Strawberry Buckwheat Muffins


Now that I'm making more butter from fresh cream, I have an abundance of buttermilk. After I strain the butter from the buttermilk, I add a bit of cultured buttermilk (I just keep a "start" going) from my existing buttermilk. I keep it in a clean glass quart jar and always have a supply of fresh buttermilk. But what to do with all of it? I found this awesome website with all sorts of wonderful buttermilk recipes:

http://www.pinkofperfection.com/2009/10/ultimate-buttermilk-recipe-repository/

So I made these the other day - tender, yummy, not-overly-sweet muffins. I think you'll like them. Oh, and I added some frozen blueberries just because I love blueberries in muffins.

Strawberry Buckwheat Muffins
 makes 12
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
 1/2 cup buckwheat or whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled) (I used whole wheat flour)
 2 teaspoons baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
 1/4 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
 1 large egg
 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, or spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Toss together strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar. Using a potato masher, lightly mash berries; set aside.



In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.


In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla until combined.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture and the berry mixture (including juices).


Fold until just combined.


With an ice cream scoop or ladle, divide batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with remaining sugar (which I forgot to do. Oh, well, they were still wonderful!).


Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 17 minutes.


Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.


So good! And good for you!

No comments: